Fire glass and lava rock, should only be used with units that utilize natural gas or propane. Never use either in a wood burning fireplace. Here are some tips, to keep the media in your gas fireplace or insert working well for years to come.
-Soot build up can occur, especially if you have a liquid propane unit. However, watch for excess amounts of soot on your fire glass. This is NEVER a result of the media. If you notice that your fire glass is soot covered, your air mixture may be incorrect. Contact your installer to verify that your unit is burning cleanly and efficiently.
-Your installer should also be able to ensure that the burner pan in your outdoor fire pit is properly ventilated on all sides. Otherwise, the trapped heat has the potential to crack or melt your fire glass. Contact your installer if this becomes a concern.
-If using fire glass or lava rock outdoors, make sure to keep your fire pit covered when not in use to prevent moisture from entering the unit. Heated water – even condensation – will cause steam, which can negatively impact the performance of your media.
-The longer that your media has been in an operating fireplace or fire pit, the hotter it will be. Remember that the bottom layers of media will continue to radiate heat even after the fire has been extinguished. Only handle media after it has had time to completely cool.
-If you have children or pets, use a fireplace screen to keep little hands (and paws) out of reach.
-Many kinds of fire glass are designed to have smooth edges – but you are still handling glass! If you drop it, this product has the potential to crack or fracture, creating sharp edges.
-Never place any kind of other fire media on top of fire glass.
Need an inspection or service on your gas unit?
Give Portland Fireplace and Chimney a call, (503) 758-4710